- ABOUT US
- Prices and Payment
Course title: Basic course for startup translators, Software module.
Course duration: 20 academic hours, 8 classes.
Target audience: Startup and practicing translators who wish to get, systematize or add the knowledge in the software area.
Language pair: EN<>RU
Webinar 1. Translator’s Workplace. Hardware and Software
1. Workplace preparation
– Making it cozy: ergonomic working space, proper illumination, healthy conditions of work and recreation, healthy habits.
2. Computer hardware. Hardware maintenance
– Basic recommendations on keeping our breadwinner healthy;
– Optimal hardware configuration for efficient and smooth translation workflow;
– Desktop on multiple screens? Just ask!
– Worried about data safety due to frequent voltage surges and sudden power failures? Here’s the solution!
– External backup.
3. Computer software. Software maintenance
– Routine, but oh so important procedures to keep your PC in optimal shape;
– Windows optimization, hot keys;
– Safety: data archiving and protection;
– File extension differentiation: what software to use for all those files?
– Touch typing: optimal training technique;
– Cloud storage: installation, tuning and best practices;
– Instant translators;
– Local data indexing, quick search;
– Quick screenshots;
Webinars 2 and 3. MS Word
1. MS Word interface
– Main components and features of various versions of MS Word;
– Interface unification utilities;
– Short list of hot keys.
2. Working with documents and texts, best practices
– MS Word settings;
– New ‘х’ format: advantages for translators;
– Automatic search of typical translation errors;
– Simultaneous work with multiple opened MS Word documents: on one or more displays;
– Automatization of text processor operation, working with: files compare, styles, automatic lists, cross-references, headers and footers etc.
3. Page makeup in MS Word
– Basics of formatting;
– Basic procedures of working with page layout and figures;
4. Fields, macros
– Coded fields, scenarios of use in translation;
– Macros: understanding code, writing your own, achieving noticeable efficiency growth!
– Off-the-shelf macro programs to solve routine tasks.
Webinar 4. MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
– Main components and features in interfaces of various software versions;
– Interface unification utilities;
– Short list of hot keys.
2. Main working practices
– Simultaneous work with multiple tables;
– Conditional formatting;
– Formatting cells and tailoring texts to a required pattern;
– Working with images and formulae;
– Slide structure, working with its components;
– Working with tables and styles.
Webinar 5. Pre-translation processing of non-editable files
1. Types of non-editable files
– image files;
– container files;
– PDF format, work specifics;
– Working with drawings: basic concepts.
2. Pre-translation preparation of texts and images
– 3 approaches to processing of PDF files: conversion, recognition, editing.
Overview of commercial and free software;
– 2 approaches to processing of image files. Overview of commercial and free software.
3. Working with drawings
– Main editable and non-editable formats of drawings. Work principles.
Webinar 6. САТ software
1. САТ software: basic concept, distinctive features
– Translation Memory (TM) technology;
– Main operation principle of the most automated translation tools;
– Scenarios of the most efficient use of САТ tools;
– 6 distinctive features of САТ software;
– Cross-platform formats: TMX and XLIFF.
2. Overview of popular САТ software
– Short classification: 3 main groups of САТ software;
– Free and commercial САТ software;
– Comparison: advantages and disadvantages;
– Mastering САТ tools: what to begin with?
– Video overviews of the most popular САТ software;
– Working practices of Trados, Déjà Vu and Memsource.
Webinar 7. САТ software (continued)
3. Getting familiar with the main functionality of САТ software on the example of memoQ
– Creation and working with translation memories and term bases;
– Segmentation rules;
– Creation and working with views;
– Live documents, work specifics;
– Creation and working with project packages;
– Exception lists;
– Working with reports;
– Quality assurance;
– Pre-translation feature, scenarios of use;
– Working with filters;
– Concordance search;
– Extraction of term candidates;
– Creation and working with bilingual files;
Webinar 8. Useful recommendations, mini-programs and utilities
– Stand-alone quality assessment programs, demonstration of work. QA with a glossary;
– Commenting PDF files;
– Speech recognition;
– File conversion into PDF, automatic clean-up;
– Statistics calculation. Repetitions, contextual, exact and fuzzy matches;
– Export into bilingual format, translation using QTranslate;
– Bilingual files: alignment, import and export of bilingual files, using bilingual files as a translation memory;
– Demonstration of term extraction operation;
– Import of xls, doc glossaries;
– Import of edited file after revision;
– Demonstration of filter operation/segment sorting;
– Working with non-native formats from other САТ tools;
– Working with text in AutoCAD drawings, working with PDF drawings;
At the end of the training, each trainee becomes an owner of a convenient reference library containing materials of exceptional value, the total volume being 4 Gb!
The collection includes:
– references to:
• The whole scope of software considered during the training (including free software),
• All the recommended sources of additional information on the issues considered during the training,
• (video-)blogs/lessons, trainings, groups/communities/publics in social networks for deeper self-sustained immersion into the subject,
• On-line services of unparalleled value for practicing linguists.
– collection of videos of optimal setting and working practices in translation software, the total duration comprising 10+, including over 50 videos!
-illustrated step-by-step guides for working in САТ tools;
– And many more!
We are glad to answer in details your questions.Read more ›
Three types of study INDIVIDUAL, DROP-IN and INTENSIVE which differ in service level, communication with teacher and prices.Read more ›
Only practical skills, no abstract theory...Read more ›
A webinar is a seminar on the Internet (web + seminar). You enter a special platform (website) where you can hear and see the teacher.Read more ›
Translation, technology, business -- this can be called sacred triad of the modern translator-freelancer.Read more ›
Huge amount of great information you will not find in Universities; modern teachers, real experts...Read more ›
We live in an era of globalisation. International partnership is sharply on the increase, the constant exchange...Read more ›
If you are reading this page, then you have decided to embark on a language profession. Why did LinguaContact translation company decide to start its own translation school...?Read more ›